About the Gilman:
Funds worldwide study abroad trips for undergraduates in the US with scholarships that range up to $8,000!!
How to be eligible:
- Must receive the Pell grant
- Must be studying abroad in a country not on the US department’s Travel Warning list
- Must be studying abroad in a country for more than 4 weeks
- Has to be applying has been accepted into a study abroad program
How peeps are picked
- Demonstrates high financial need
- Come from diverse ethnic backgrounds
- Students with disabilities
- Studying in countries that are not common like, outside of western Europe, New Zealand, and Australia
- Comes from different academic institutions
Personal Thoughts/How it has helped me:
The Gilman was a life saver. Without it, my experience in Japan would have probably been very mediocre and I would always be worrying about money so much that I wouldn’t have had as much fun as I had so far. For me, the Gilman is helping me by paying for most of my living expenses, room and board, which was the problem I was going to face of I didn’t have the Gilman. Without the Gilman, Japan wouldn’t be possible at all.
How you can fund your study abroad trip:
All you have to do really is write an “excellent” essay. Now I emphasize “excellent” because it’s true. This is a paper that will determine if you can receive $5000-$8000 or not. Don’t half ass it. Take your time and really think about what you want to put in there and get some help from your English teachers for the grammar mess ups. My English teacher helped me a lot, without her corrections, which were many; I might not have received the Gilman. So make your essay “excellent” okay. That’s all I can really say.
How to contact me for questions:
You can either contact me via this blog, on Youtube, or on Facebook. I’m creating a Facebook solely for my Japan study abroad trip for people like you, people with questions, to get in contact with me.
Youtube Address: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMasqueraid?feature=mhee
Facebook: Look up “Kimberly Kayla”